Dear friends and supporters of the West Somerset Food Cupboard
Well, it looks like Christmas is here, ready or not! We owe a huge debt of gratitude to all those who have helped us to prepare Christmas food bags and boxes this year, ready for distribution to those whose finances would otherwise have been too stretched to include Christmas treats. Special thanks must go to Fareshare UK, staff and customers of Tesco, Morrisons, Alcombe Co-op, Poundland and the village shops in Wootton Courtenay, Porlock and Carhampton. Also, to the Lions Club of Minehead and District, local schools, churches, community groups and businesses as well as many individual donors. Thank you so much for your kindness.
Thanks also to our very special volunteer team who are working so hard to meet the ever-increasing demand.
As usual, attached to the email along with this newsletter is a printable version of the list of food items that we are currently short of and those that we have plenty of. If you’d like a laminated copy, we’ll be pleased to provide one. Also attached is our leaflet and general poster, for information.
We don’t currently need:
- Christmas food items
We would welcome:
- UHT milk (1 and 2 pint)
- Small jars instant coffee
- Rice (sachets or small packets)
- Jars of pasta sauce
- Tinned hot dogs, meatballs or cold meat
141 food boxes have been distributed during October, a 55% increase on last month, making the total for this year so far 1018. This month they were distributed via the West Som. Advice Bureau, Village Agents, Home-Start, West Som. College, Magna, Parent Family Support Advisors, Julian House, church youth and community workers, Job Centre Plus, Community Mental Health, the Hope Centre, and 14 private requests.
We happily work in close partnership with many other local organisations and event organisers doing their bit in the community. Here are just a few examples from the last few weeks:
- Food Cupboard assembly at St. Dubricius School followed by a visit from the school council, when the children ably helped us sort and pack the donated food items and were a credit to the school
- Porlock pop-up high street event raised funds and food donations for the food cupboard
- Tesco and Fareshare UK promotional weekend brought in a very welcome and very large quantity of Christmas food donations as well as a 20% top-up from Tesco
- Alcombe Co-op fresh fruit and veg gift card partnership picked up pace
- Students of Foxes organised a Christmas food collection
- Lions Club of Minehead and District collected Christmas food for us
- St. Andrew’s after school club has supported and been supported by the Food Cupboard
- West Somerset College partnership projects include the School Council supporting our activities, and the food cupboard supporting Student Services provisions as well as parent courses.
- And there’s much more to come in the new year – so watch this space!
Very best wishes for a Happy and Healthy Christmas!
Ali and the Food Cupboard team